Expand All Content
Faculty Travel Procedure
Steps for Completing Travel as a Faculty
- Once the conference organizer has accepted your presentation proposal, speak with Travel Assistant (Brian Solis).
- Budget all expenses, and include them in the Department of English Travel Request Form - Faculty.
- Print out and attach confirmation email of acceptance from conference organizer, either before or after travel has taken place.
- Complete Department of English Travel Request Form - Faculty 14 days in advance of first travel date.
- Hold on to all receipts. The form of payment (such as credit card’s last 4 digits) will need to be listed on receipt, for hotel, registration, and airfare.
- Once you return, give all receipts to Travel Assistant no later than 2 weeks after last travel day.
- The Travel Assistant will submit your paperwork to Accounts Payable and Travel Office. Once completed, the Travel Assistant will send an email.
- Please follow directions in email given by Travel Assistant.
- Reimbursements can take up to 3 weeks after all paperwork has been submitted.
What Travel Expenses Can be Paid or Reimbursed?
- Unless you pay in advance and seek reimbursement, contact Melissa to reserve and purchase airfare with the contracted Travel Agencies, currently Ascot and National Travel. (Estimated airfare should be added to Travel Request)
- REGISTRATION FEES
- May be reimbursed to the travel through an e-NPO PRIOR to the travel dates or afterwards with receipt.
- LODGING (Reimbursement ONLY)
- RENTAL CAR
- Reserve and purchase rental vehicle with contracted Travel Agencies, currently Enterprise and Avis. (Estimate rental should be added to Travel Request)
Any amount of travel paid by a Purchase Order, P-Card, or e-NPO should not be included in the Travel Request or it will be encumbered twice.
Faculty Travel Policy
Purpose: To establish clear guidelines for faculty travel in the Department of English. Travel dollar allocations will be based on the University-designated departmental travel budget and this departmental travel policy. This policy applies to all tenured faculty, tenure-track faculty, senior lecturers, lectures, and per-course lecturers.
- Travel allocation time frame based on the University fiscal year – September 1st- August 31st.
- All travel requests must be submitted to the departmental Travel Assistant at least 14 days prior to date of departure.
- All FOREIGN travel requests must be submitted to the departmental Travel Assistant at least 30 days prior to date of departure.
- Foreign Travel Liability Form must be submitted with travel request for any trip OUTSIDE the United States.
- To qualify for travel funding faculty member must present a paper or participate in a reading or roundtable and be listed in the event program with Texas State University as the affiliated institution unless otherwise approved by the English Department chair. Proof of Texas State University affiliation must be submitted with travel receipts.
- Faculty member must comply with Texas State University Travel Office policies and the State of Texas Travel Allowance Guide.
- All travel receipts must be submitted to the departmental Travel Assistant no later than 2 weeks after last day of approved travel.
- All expense reports must be generated by the department designated Travel Assistant.
- All expense reports saved and sent for approval by faculty member are final. Any monetary discrepancies noticed by faculty member must be addressed to the Travel Assistant or English Department chair prior to receiving reimbursement. By saving and sending expense report for approval you are acknowledging and accepting that travel reimbursement amount is accurate.
*Submit form to the English Department's Travel Assistant no later than September 30.
Faculty Travel Checklist
PREPARATION FOR TRIP
- Submitted Faculty Travel Policy
- Turned in Departmental Travel Request Form 14 days prior to date of departure.
- Turned in Departmental Travel Request Form and T-4 Form 30 days prior to date of departure FOREIGN.
- *IF traveler wants to use Company PAID FOR airfare and rental vehicle, inform Travel Assistant on Departmental Request Form by abbreviating next to the item you would like to take advantage of.
RETURNING FROM TRIP
- Have receipts with form of payment on it. Acceptable receipts are for Airfare, Hotel, Public Transportation, Registration, and Parking. (Meals are reimbursed but DO NOT need a receipt for reimbursement).
- Submit all receipts together and no later than 2 weeks after travel.
- Travel Assistant will send an email with systematic instructions on how to “Save and Send for Approval." This process is necessary for the reimbursement.
- Email the Travel Assistant if reimbursement has not processed after 2 weeks of receiving initial email from them.